Sitkans Against Family Violence (SAFV)
SAFV's mission is to promote nonviolent, healthy, respectful
relationships, and to reduce risk factors and occurrences of interpersonal
violence. SAFV recognizes that social change is necessary to end
multi-generational cycles of interpersonal violence, and is committed to
providing safety and advocacy services, and to empower survivors of
SAFV’s work includes:
- Providing safety and advocacy to survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Supporting the rights of women to make all decisions affecting their lives, including reproductive rights.
- Coalition building at the local, regional, state, and national levels.
- Supporting legislation aimed at eradicating social conditions that contribute to domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Preventative work with children to end the intergenerational cycle of abuse.
SAFV maintains a 25-bed residential facility in Sitka for women and children who are in need of safety due to domestic violence or sexual assault. The shelter is staffed by advocates who are trained in crisis and suicide intervention, domestic violence and sexual assault, child abuse, cultural sensitivity, and legal issues. SAFV also operates safe homes in Kake and Angoon. Any person needing safety in these villages should contact SAFV at firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
We serve the Southeast Alaska communities of Sitka, Angoon, Kake and Port Alexander.
What is Domestic Violence?
Domestic violence is a pattern of controlling and coercive behaviors intended to punish, abuse, and ultimately control the thoughts, beliefs, and actions of the victim. This abuse usually increases over time. Domestic violence occurs in all segments of our society regardless of religion, race, class, sexual orientation, or educational level. Domestic violence is a crime.
As described by the women of SAFV, domestic violence is…
“…the ebb and flow of love and isolated terror.”
“…the ultimate dehumanizing experience of no rules, no trust, no peace, and no safety.”
“…a relationship that starts with expectations of love and acceptance as it slowly breaks one’s spirit and ends in control and violence.”
“…the relentless use of multiple tactics to emotionally and physically shackle me.”
“…when from fear of violence, I turn and cry silently out of one side of my face.”
“…him living the illusion of power, righteousness, and manly strength while I dwell in the lonely state of scared, helplessness, and shame.”
“…hope becoming a four letter word.”
“…in the beginning, him battering because he could. In the end, I left because I can.”
- Safety: We can provide IMMEDIATE safety for both you and your children and a safe place for you to rest, think, and explore your options.
- Confidentiality: We maintain confidentiality in all things including legal, medical, housing, and employment information, referral and advocacy.
- Help in Planning: We can aid you in planning for your safety and that of your children.
- Legal Advocacy: We can provide information and guidance through the legal system.
- Support Groups: We provide a variety of opportunities for both women and children that are victims of domestic violence or survivors of sexual assault.
747-6511 in Sitka
|Telephone:||747-3370 in Sitka|